We put up our humble little 3 ft Christmas tree this weekend. Since we left all our ornaments and lights at our flat in San Francisco, I borrowed a few stands of these big-bulbed, colorful lights and somehow it is perfect to me. We picked ours up at Home Depot (I know, not as romantic as a Christmas tree lot) because 1.) It was cheaper and 2.) They bundled all the branches up with string so it fit easily into my back seat (which is now covered with pine needles btw).
We also kicked off our Christmas movie marathon with Home Alone II! A tradition that I started this year and have yet to inform my husband about. Every Friday night in December we’ll watch a Classic Christmas movie. That only allows 3 movies until Christmas, but I’ll throw in watching one on Christmas Eve (hey I’m making up the tradition as I write, ok). I really want to start more Christmas traditions so when the kids come along, they’ll already be in full swing. Like my cousin who has a tradition of buying a new Christmas CD every year. What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions? I need ideas.
Here’s a list of about 10 movies (in no particular order) to choose from. Am I missing any good ones?
- A Christmas Story (“you’ll shoot your eye out, kid!”)
- The Polar Express
- Home Alone ( What happened to Macaulay Culkin? And what kind of name is Macaulay??)
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer (The 1964 claymation one!)
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas –with Jim Carrey
- The Santa Claus –with Tim Allen (a childhood Christmas favorite of mine)